Saturday, February 21, 2009

What? So it's been awhile

Okay, after some requests, I've decided to come back from my hiatus of non bloggerness. I was going to have a picture of these sunflower cupcakes I made, but the friend never uploaded them. What I'm trying to say is... I sure don't have a whole lot. But, so that you won't be completely in utter despair, I'll post part of my letter aka story that I wrote to my cousin and friend who are both on missions. I get really bored of writing the same boring things, so when in doubt- make it up. Of course that also happened on the mission during the weeks we didn't have lots of people trying to kill us I'd make up stories to send home. The best is when they believed them. But I don't except you to believe the below, just hope. The reason it has a love theme, if you can call it a love theme is because when I was on a mission my dear friend Shaniqua (names have been changed to protect Adrian) would write about her crazy love life and my companion and I would always wait for our Mormon soap opera fix. So I’ve just decided that despite my lackness of a love life, I’ll just make one up.


It was a dark and stormy night as I forced myself to drive down to single’s branch FHE. That’s right- forced. The ones that go with a happy face usually are the ones that have something wrong with them. But let’s not get into politics- this is a love story- not a political statement. Although I may or may not make one. Back to the star crossed fateful night. My thoughts were racing as I went into the building. Did I really enjoy dinner that night? What time would I go to bed? Did I feel like writing a missionary anytime soon? Needless to say, when I ran into Horatio, the impact sent the anxiety filled thoughts flying like butterflies during migration season.
“Uh, hello” I nervously said with my face in a scrunch trying to figure out why this boy, no man, had chosen to run into me at that particular moment.
“Why hello!” His cheerful greeting caught me off guard. If I were an actually guard, I probably would have dropped my sword. So metaphorically I dropped my sword. “It’s so good to see you here at FHE… Elissa.” Did he really call me by my name, or was I conjuring up sounds that resembled my name from his voice? Not only was Horatio the elder’s quorum president, he had also served a mission where he had been instrumental in opening up some communist controlled tribe in the harsh land of Africa. He had dark brown hair that complemented his dark brown eyes- intriguing eyes. A set of perfectly set pearly white teeth that had not been the result of braces (he happened to be born perfect) smiled underneath a nose that was sculpted as if from the hands of Michelangelo.
After my eyes popped back into my head from drinking in this tall glass of purified water, I said the only thing I could come up with at the moment “Yes, here I am. At FHE. Bumping into you. Not that I came here to bump into you…er” My voice trailed off as did all my self confidence that this conversation was going anywhere but the history books.
He laughed. One of those laughs that sound like the angels of heaven are playing their celestial sounds and projecting it through the mouth of this, this, this, Horatio. No other words could state it quite like the sound. “Well, we’re playing steal the bacon and I was wondering if you would like to be my partner?” His partner? Life partner, no, eternal partner? Of course. I just had to call my mom and tell her grandchildren would be arriving within the next two years, after a beautiful temple wedding of course.
“As long as you can bring home the bacon, I’ll gladly be your partner.” Really? Did I really just suggest to him that he could provide for me past this dumb FHE game?
“Oh, so we have a funny one in the building.” Still the smile, I guess I didn’t botch my eternal prospective after all. And there we were- two people of averaging heights with different interests and different cars with different mpg s going into the cultural hall like we were arriving to our reception. He probably didn’t notice the lemon filled butter cream cake with the rotating glass couple on top. Or the little girls in matching periwinkle dresses with puffed out sleeves attending the guest book (made by the oldest lady in the ward, complete with rick rack borders). His eyes missed the sparse filled table with wilted vegetables because we decided to pay tithing rather than have fancy food. No matter, we were going to play steal the bacon, except not steal, because that’s a commandment not to, but we were going to be hand in hand for the rest of the night.
And then the electricity went out.

This is where I then sent out the letters. Give 'em something to look forward to. But honestly, I'm not feeling the cheesy mormon love story thing, so I might change to adventure or science fiction. Then again, people love those genres, so in a way everything is a love story. Which reminds me, before I stop my eternal rambling, I was at Panda Express today and my fortune cookie said "You will make many changes before settling down happily." Hope none of those changes involve plastic surgery or anything...

1 comment:

ammunk said...

Thanks for protecting me! Oh I love you! "After my eyes popped back into my head from drinking in this tall glass of purified water..." and all the other amazingly great lines made me happy! We should catch up soon. I think I will try you later today. So pick up ok! :)