Sunday, April 1, 2012

We Made It To Alaska


 After 18 hours of traveling and one trip through a worm hole, we arrived in the biggest state of the union. It will never be the same.

Our story starts on Tuesday at 4:45 where we get dropped off at the airport with our massive amounts of luggage. You can't expect a girl to go minimalist when living in Alaska for 6 months, can you? First we go to Oakland, have a layover, then onto Seattle.

We arrived in Seattle at 11 p.m., and because our flight to Alaska was the next morning at 6 a.m., we decided to hard core it and spend the night in the airport. To sum up sleeping in the airport, I'll quote my brother Mitch, whom when I asked how he slept said "I slept like a baby. I woke up every ten minutes and cried." I think I've finally found a place I have not been able to successfully sleep in. Maybe it was too quiet.

Because we slept in the airport, we decided to not go get our luggage down at the baggage claim. That meant that it got locked up in the Southwest office. Which in term meant at 4:45 a.m. we had to find a Southwest agent to unlock the office (that took about 20 minutes), then check our luggage with Alaska Airlines (which took like 30 minutes because they were STRUGGLING. Seriously, it was the stereotypical scene at the airport where there's a huge line and only two agents and because the person checking in had a suitcase full of animal organs from China they had to spend more time on the computer).

By the time we finally got through security, the plane was boarding. It meant no breakfast for us. Our stomachs may not have been happy, but our wallets were grateful because when you're eating a $10 sandwich you almost feel guilty while eating it.

Thankfully, we both peacefully slept the 3.5 hours to Alaska. I did try to see if we were flying over the ocean or Canahdiah, but there were clouds the whole way. When we finally were able to see land, they were beautiful snow covered mountain ranges. I wanted to take a picture but we were in our "final descent" so all electronics had to be off. I thought about sneaking in a picture, but I didn't want to be responsible for us crashing onto an island and having to fight off mysterious black smoke (LOST, anyone?)

Stay tuned for more adventure...

No comments: