Saturday, August 7, 2010

If I Had Wings...

I have been researching the blogging world quite a bit lately. Reason being: I have become very discouraged with finding a job. And not just a job, but something that I might actually enjoy doing. You see, I graduated with a degree in art emphasizing in graphic design. But, the graphic design world that I've been introduced to gave me gross tastes in my mouth. So I've been trying to "figure out" what I want to do in my life. I'll spare all the boring details, but know that I've thought of many things, (including joining the Navy, but I don't think someone who fell asleep on watch during an attack would make it out of boot camp) but to no avail.

One such depressing afternoon led me to talk to my mother. She then had this brilliant and ingenious idea that I should become a professional blogger for businesses. This way, I'd be able to write, design and take pictures-three things which I love to do, but just didn't know how to combine them together. Now the hard part: finding businesses that will pay me to do all that. I probably wouldn't blog for the city's waste disposal center or an inspiring aspirin engraver. I was thinking business more along the creative side; i.e.: photographers, quilt shops, florists, painters of felines, etc. We figured if I had around 5 businesses sign onto my plan, I could actually start paying off my student loans, and perhaps save for a future pet alligator.

What I have found: wow. There is a lot more to blogging than I ever knew. It's intimidating and endless. It's creative and technical. It's not a plane or Superman. I don't know if I'm cut out of construction paper for this move. But I have the motivating factor that I don't want to become a substitute teacher for the rest of my life, even with a pet alligator. 

Design wise, here is a site that makes me gulp in awe and trepidation. The "Blog Fairy" designs blogs, and has an impressive portfolio to show for it.


I decided that to help my own pursuits, I need to blog more on my own blog. And probably do a complete design revamp. This means you may be subject to past pieces of creative writing I've done. There is the possibility that I may loose one of my fewer than 10 followers. But that's a risk I'm willing to take. Wish me luck, fellow bloggers, and any ideas are welcome; including how big an alligator pond for a residential neighborhood needs to be.

No comments: